Lemur Monitors BlueDriver OBDII Scan Tool
- ScannerAnswers Rating:
The Bluedrivers are one of the most impressive OBD2 scanners on the market. One of my favorite features is that it works with iOS and Android. This is very rare to see in Wireless OBD2 scanners! The diagnostics for reading DTCs and providing common fixes save time and money. We’d recommend the BlueDriver to the curbside mechanic, or the professional.
Lemur Monitors BlueDriver Review | OBDII Scan Tool for iOS and Android
Skip to the good stuff:
We wrote the BlueDriver OBD2 Scanner Review to fulfill the request of many of our friends. This is an extremely popular OBD2 scanner, and for good reason! The BlueDriver Blutooth Professional for iPhone, iPad & Android by Lemur Monitors is a premium Bluetooth Scanner that offers diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities that are beyond the reach of most competitors. It is compatible with both iOS and Android smartphones and tablet computers. Don’t miss our other reviews on WiFi OBD2 scanners.
BlueDriver OBD2 Scanner Review
Here’s where I bought my Bluedriver scanner.
When the check engine light comes on, you need to find the cause, and fast! Introducing Wireless OBD2 adapters that you can use with any smartphone, tablet, or Windows laptop.
In recent years, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth-enabled OBDII Scanners have become common place. These nifty devices and will allow anyone with an iOS or Android device to easily diagnose and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) without the need for specialized equipment or fiddly cables.
However iPhone and iPad owners are fully aware that many Bluetooth devices will not work with their handset or table. Apple simply prefers to limit the functionality of Bluetooth on its mobile devices. If you are an iPhone or iPad owner this can limit your options when searching for an OBDII scanner that will interface with your device. Luckily, the BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android is compatible with your IOS device and offers an incredibly feature-rich scanning experience.
- Read and clear your Check Engine Light and all other vehicle systems. Get your unlimited free vehicle specific Repair Reports, generated from our database of millions of fixes verified by ASE...
- As easy to use as a code reader with all the capabilities of an expensive handheld scan tool, plus the benefits of your smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive...
- Officially licensed and certified for Apple and Android devices
The other feature that distinguishes the BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool from most of its competitors is that it does so much more than simply allow you to read and clear diagnostic trouble codes.
Like other top-end Bluetooth scanners, it allows real-time data logging, and graphing of engine parameters. However, when reading DTCs it also provides a vehicle-specific list of possible causes, and can even provide a list of the most common fixes for that particular trouble code. This is immensely useful for the typical backyard mechanic who feels comfortable replacing faulty components, but who may not have the confidence to diagnose the problem himself.
Even for the more accomplished mechanic this additional information can a help pinpoint the most likely cause of the fault code. This will save more time and money when troubleshooting faulty components. This feature alone makes the BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool a very powerful instrument for vehicle owners and professional mechanics alike.
- Compatible with both Android and IOS handsets and tablets.
- Confirmed Check Engine Codes
- Pending Check Engine Codes
- Permanent Check Engine Codes
- Enhanced Codes (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.) for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota
- Code Definition
- Possible Cause(s)
- Top/Frequently/Other Reported Fix(es)
- Check for whether or not the vehicle is ready for a local smog (i.e. emissions) test.
- Advanced test results (like misfire counts) for On-Board Diagnostic System Monitors.
- Graph – multiple data sources
- Gauge – select a single data source
- Data Log – save data to a CSV file
Pros and Cons of the BlueDriver
When writing the BlueDriver OBD2 Scanner Review, we immediately fell in love with the abundant features. But like all devices, this scan tool has got some pros and cons. We wanted to give you the best review and you should be aware of both!
Here’s the things we liked:
- The parts are manufactured and assembled by expert engineers in North America.
- The BlueDriver app and sensors both work exclusively with each other as a single device to read data. They are completely compatible with each other. The app can be downloaded from iTunes and Google Play for free. There is no extra cost for downloading the app.
- BlueDriver is certified to function with Apple iOS and Android phones and devices.
- The Reading and Clearing Codes provide advanced codes for Airbag, Transmission and ABS. They also provide pending and permanent CEL codes.
- Advanced data readings like misfire counts through the Advanced Mode 6 data readings.
- Through the Repair Report, the device assembles any error code and gives a report of fixing the error by which one can print the information or email that to the technician of the car for further examination. This feature saves time and money.
- Durable and compatible with phones or tablets.
- Convenient to use and also can be stored and carried easily because of the small size.
- The wireless feature along with the application makes it possible for the tool to function fast with increased efficiency
- This OBD2 scanner is relatively cheaper given the various types of feature it has and the way it performs.
- User-friendly and capable of performing functions that an expensive scan tool can
Things we did not like:
- Sometimes the Wifi or Bluetooth connections drop or gets slow
- No support for Windows phones
Other odd findings – There are some problems with the software like if the phone is at sleep mode, the data readings will vanish and there is nothing one can do. Another limitation is that the live data are not saved in the BlueDriver sensor or even in the app itself. So the moment the engine is turned off the live data readings will get erased and you cannot restore them as they are not saved in the app or sensor which is a huge problem to consider as sometimes important details can be missed out.
One of our kind readers pointed out one of my complaints regarding the live data “vanishing.” He went so far as to contact Bluedriver support and ask them! Thanks man! Here’s the response from Bluedriver about storing the live sensor data:
Just goes to show that we do not know everything and appreciate all feedback from our readers 🙂
If you ever need to contact us, you can do so here: Contact Us
The BlueDriver is one of the most impressive OBD2 scanners on the market. One of my favorite features is that it works with iOS and Android. This is very rare to see in Wireless OBD2 scanners! The diagnostics for reading DTCs and providing common fixes save time and money. We’d recommend the BlueDriver to the curbside mechanic, or the professional.
Learn more about wireless OBD2 scanners by checking out our ultimate buying guide in finding a Wi-Fi iOS OBDII scanner. Drop a comment below and I’ll get you an answer!