There are a lot of diagnostic scanners out there, but we’re confident that this is one of the best OBD2 scanners for the price. Features like over-voltage protection, battery-saver, and connection speed set this tool miles apart from generic OBD2 scanners. You cannot go wrong with an OBD2 scanner that is backed with a 3 year warranty and built by an American company. ScanTool has been making high quality OBD2 scanners since 2002 and for good reason! If you don’t need iPhone support, and don’t mind spending a little extra for quality and peace-of-mind, then the ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX is a great choice!
Skip to the good stuff:
Matt here with ScannerAnswers.com and I’m excited to bring you the latest ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX review. The guys and I were real excited to get our oily hands on one of these diagnostic tools.
Vince has been looking for a scanner that he could plug into his 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and leave it plugged in to monitor his fuel mileage. One thing you’ll notice with the OBDlink is that the price is a little higher than some cheaper Chinese scanners (like to Foseal). Why is this? Well, it’s simple – you’re getting a much better product! The build quality of this scanner means that it will last you for many years.
Sure, if you want to run 1 scan on your car and move on, then you might be better off with a cheaper scanner. But if you want a tool that will save you money and work as hard as you do, then you cannot go wrong with the ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX.
- HIGH SPEED SCAN TOOL: Transform your Windows PC, laptop, or phone into a super-fast, accurate automotive diagnostic device (not compatible with Apple iOS devices)
- WIRELESS DIAGNOSTICS: Bluetooth scan tool is easy to install, safe to leave plugged in without draining your car's battery, and features hackerproof wireless security
- FREE ANDROID APP & WINDOWS SOFTWARE: Includes OBDLink app for Android and OBDwiz for Windows and is compatible with 3rd party apps such as Torque and DashCommand
Handheld OBD-II scanners like the Innova are a very useful tool for the home mechanic or even the ordinary motorist who wants to minimize his repair bills by diagnosing problems before they have a chance to do more serious damage. However, due to their size and design they aren’t always the most practical choice in certain circumstances. If you’re on vacation with a car full of kids and camping equipment there simply may not be the room for another piece of kit no matter how useful. Likewise, if you’re trying to monitor your vehicle performance while driving, having cables snaking under the dash and an awkwardly shaped handheld scanner can make the job more difficult.
Enter the ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX: a compact OBDII Bluetooth adapter that handily stows away in your glovebox and doesn’t require a cable (only your Android smartphone or Tablet). The OBDlink MX plugs into the vehicle OBD-II port and displays the information to the screen of your smartphone, tablet or laptop computer. While OBD-II Bluetooth adapters are becoming increasingly common the OBDlink MX offers premium specifications and performance over most of its competitors.
Check Out These Key Features
The performance of the ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX distinguishes it from its competitors. Cheaper OBDII Bluetooth adapters can experience laggy data transfer compared to OBD-II scanners that physically connect to the vehicle via cable. In our testing, the OBDlink MX is the fastest OBD-II Bluetooth adapter on the market! It also offers a more secure data connection than many of its competitors and it is designed to shut itself off when not in use so as not to drain the vehicle battery.
Features like ‘auto-shutoff’ mean that you can plug it into your car, and it won’t drain your battery overnight.
Peace of mind. When you purchase the Scantool 426101 OBDlink MX, you’re getting a highly reliable tool from a company based in America (Phoenix, Arizona). And if that’s not enough, they back this tool with a 3 year warranty!
I purchased my ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX here from Amazon, and you should too 🙂
If you’re trying to decide between the OBDlink MX 426101 OR the OBDlink LX 427201 and want to know the difference, the main thing is that the MX 426101 (the black one) supports Single-Wire CAN (GMLAN) & Ford Medium-Speed CAN (MS-CAN) but it costs about $16 bucks more than the LX 427201 (the green one).
Other features (that are pretty sweet too)
In addition the above advantages, the ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX offers a feature-rich user experience. Not only does it allow you to check and reset the Check Engine Light, it also allows data logging and can function as a trip computer. It supports all OBD-II communications protocols ensuring compatibility with most modern vehicles. It also supports GM’s SW-CAN and Fords MS-CAN which gives even more functionality with those manufacturers vehicles, allowing it to read and reset codes beyond the bare OBD-II functions such as airbags, or ABS brake systems. The ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX is compatible with Android Smartphone and Tablet OS, Windows Phone 8 smartphone OS, all Windows operating systems from XP onwards, BlackBerry 10 smartphone OS and BlackBerry Playbook.
If decide to pick up one of these scanners, they come with a default app, but we highly recommend getting Torque or Torque Pro. Those are our favorite apps and they really unlock the potential of this OBD2 adapter.
(Boring) Technical Specifications
- Hardware is compatible with Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry Playbook devices.
- Complementary software is compatible with Android and Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
- Supports all OBD-II communications protocols ensuring compatibility with most vehicles.
- Supports both SW-CAN & MS-CAN protocols for additional functionality.
- High speed Bluetooth OBD-II adapter.
- Graphing and logging of real time operating parameters.
- Freeze-frame information.
- Creation of digital dashboards and use as a vehicle trip computer.
- Small form factor.
- More secure than most of its competitors, less susceptible to hacking.
- Automatic sleep and wake-up function prevents drained vehicle battery.
- Hardware is compatible with many 3rd party apps and software
Pros and Cons
While we have found this OBDII reader to work very well in our review, there are a few critiques that we’ve found.
- When connected to Eddie’s 1998 Ford Diesel pickup, the OBDlink MX causes the engine to shut off. This one perplexed us and was a little dissapointing. So if you’re a diesel owner, you might want to look into a different OBD2 scanner for your coal roller
- The OBDlink MX doesn’t work with iPhones. Sorry Apple users, unfortunately you can not use your beloved iPhone or iPad with this adapter. We have reviewed a few OBD2 scanners for iPhones though that we’ll post below 🙂
- I heard on an auto forum that someone had an issue connecting this OBDlink to their car. It wouldn’t sync or something. ScanTool was very quick to replace the faulty scanner though. They have a 3 year warranty on this scanner, so if any problems show up, let them know!
There are a lot of diagnostic scanners out there, but we’re confident that this is one of the best Android OBD2 adapters for the price. Features like over-voltage protection, battery-saver, and connection speed set this tool miles apart from generic OBD2 scanners. You cannot go wrong with an OBD2 scanner that is backed with a 3 year warranty and built by an American company. ScanTool has been making high quality OBD2 scanners since 2002 and for good reason! If you don’t need iPhone support, and don’t mind spending a little extra for quality and peace-of-mind, then the ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX is a great choice!
If you decide this scanner is perfect for you, I recommend grabbing it from Amazon, right here. This will ensure you get a genuine model and not some cheap knock off. Plus, when buying through Amazon you get fast shipping and excellent buyer protection.
I hope you enjoyed reading this ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX review today. At ScannerAnswers, we want to help you find the best OBD2 scanner that fits your budget. If you have any questions, drop a comment below or check out our guide to choosing the best OBDII scanner. Be sure to check out more of our Bluetooth OBD2 scanners here and how to choose the best OBD2 bluetooth adapter guide