Touch Screen Car Stereos
- BOSS Audio BV9986BI
- BOSS Audio BV9364B
- Pyle PLDN744
- PIONEER AVH-X7800BT
- Pioneer AVH4200NEX
- Hopkins 60100VA
Choosing a new Stereo “Head Unit” for your vehicle
Skip to the good stuff:
- Choosing a new Stereo “Head Unit” for your vehicle
- Our chosen stereo receiver head units with reviews
- Why do people want to upgrade the audio in their car?
- Beginner tips to install an aftermarket car head unit
- Important Things to Consider
- The 2019 Best Touch Screen Car Stereos
Do you have an older car? Would you like to upgrade the audio system on your ride? You have come to the right place. I took the time to test and review the best touch screen car stereos for 2019. Interestingly enough, I paid attention to the two things that matter the most when choosing a brand new touchscreen car stereo: the price, and the audio quality.
Really, that’s all that matters, right? Your touch screen car stereo can come with a brilliant and motorized LED display, but all of that means nothing if the audio quality is sub-par. Of course, having a crisp and brilliant display is a must but this should not be your sole consideration when purchasing a new car stereo.
|1||BOSS Audio BV9986BI - in-Dash, Single DIN,...||2,441 Reviews||from $30.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||BOSS Audio BV9364B Car Stereo DVD Player - Double...||2,452 Reviews||$78.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Premium 6.5-Inch Double-DIN in-Dash Touchscreen...||112 Reviews||$94.99||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Pioneer AVH-210EX 6.2" WVGA Display Multimedia DVD...||103 Reviews||$169.98||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Pioneer AVH4200NEX 2-DIN Receiver with 7"...||237 Reviews||from $259.99||Buy on Amazon|
Our chosen stereo receiver head units with reviews
- BOSS Audio BV9986BI – the best budget single din touch screen
- BOSS Audio BV9364B – a cheap and decent double din touchscreen receiver
- Pyle PLDN744 Double Din Motorized Touch Screen
- PIONEER AVH-X7800BT – best name brand professional receiver
- Pioneer AVH4200NEX – best receiver for CarPlay and Android Auto
1. BOSS Audio BV9986BI
- BLUETOOTH: Make Phone Calls Safer And Easier Than Ever. Answer Calls With Just One Push Of a Button. Make Calls And Be Hands-Free With No Distractions. You Can Also Play And Control Your Music And...
- MEDIA PAYBACK: Watch Videos Through The DVD Player, Play Music With Your Bluetooth Device, Pop In A CD Or Use The USB/SD Ports For More Audio Alternatives. Tune Into The AM / FM Radio Stations For Up...
- AUXILIARY INPUT: This Single Din Head Unit Is Compatible With The Audio Output From Smartphones As Well As MP3 Players. Even More Ways To Chill
This particular model of the BOSS Audio BV9986BI is equipped with a 7” motorized LCD screen and a DVD receiver. If you’re pinching pennies because you’re saving for a new set of wheels or a RIPP Super Charger, consider this stereo head unit.
It also comes with USB and Bluetooth connectivity so you can wirelessly listen to all your audio files on your smartphone or tablet as you drive. This feature will also enable you to make and receive hands-free calls without taking your hands off the wheel as you drive.
This unit has a detachable front panel and wireless remote. It is also equipped with audio/video inputs, auxiliary inputs, pre-amp outputs, RDs tuner, and video outputs for a rear-mounted video camera (the rear camera is sold separately) and a separate subwoofer. This stereo is rated with a max power of 85 watts x 4 and comes with pre-set equalizer settings that you can also customize to suit your tastes.
The cool thing about this touchscreen car stereo is the multi-color illuminated touchscreen panel with 16 million colors and customizable backlighting.
You can get all of these features for around [see price]. I like the BOSS Audio BV9986BI because it comes with a ton of features at a friendly price. The audio quality is top notch as long as all the wiring are connected properly.
For the money, the BV9986BI is a solid offering from BOSS Audio.
This baby comes with a 3-year dealer warranty for added peace of mind.
- Great price
- Brilliant motorized LCD screen
- Nice display
- Abundant features
- Good audio quality
- Great warranty
- Some switches feel flimsy
- Minor issues with build quality
2. BOSS Audio BV9364B
- BLUETOOTH: Answer Calls with Just One Push of a Button. Make Calls and Be Hands-Free with No Distractions. No Need To Hold Your Phone Ever Again. You Can Also Play and Control Your Music and Apps like...
- MEDIA PAYBACK: Watch Your Choice Of Videos Through The DVD Player, Play Music Through Your Bluetooth Device, Pop In A CD Or Use The USB And SD Ports For More Audio Alternatives. Tune Into The AM/FM...
- AUXILIARY INPUT: This Double din head unit Is Compatible with The Audio Output From Smartphones As Well As MP3 Players. Even More Ways to Chill.
If all you want is a basic car stereo upgrade with Bluetooth and a touchscreen, you can’t go wrong with the BOSS Audio BV9364B Double DIN Stereo. This baby is ideal for center consoles that are designed to accommodate a larger double-DIN stereo and comes with great features for the price.
This unit is equipped with Bluetooth connectivity so you can stream audio from Pandora or Spotify and make or receive hands-free calls when paired with your smartphone or tablet. It is also equipped with a USB and SD card port so you can listen to your audio files, view photos or images, and play videos on the brilliant 6.2” LCD display.
The max power of the BOSS Audio BV9364B is rated at 80 watts x 4. Want more power? No problem. This touch screen car stereo is also equipped with pre-amp outputs so you can connect up to three amplifiers or signal processors for additional speakers or subwoofers.
If you want to install a rear camera, the BOSS BV9364B comes with a rear camera input for a simple plug-and-play operation. This unit can also be controlled with the OEM steering wheel mounted controls of your vehicle but you will need to purchase an additional interface to make it work flawlessly.
For the low price of [click for price], it is hard to fault the BOSS Audio BV9364B in terms of features and audio quality. This unit is also available with Apple CarPlay or a navigation system, but you will need to fork out at least $200 to get those standard features.
Lastly, I want to add that BOSS is budget brand car stereo maker. I’ve ran a few of them in the past and had friends that used them, but if you can afford stepping spending a hundred bucks or so, you can get some really good Sony or Pioneer head units that will last much longer and have less problems than Boss.
- Affordable price
- Brilliant 6.2” LCD display
- Bluetooth connectivity
- USB and SD port
- Poor FM radio reception
- You get what you pay for
3. Pyle PLDN744
- TRAVEL WITH LUXURY! - With this excellent quality Double-Din dashboard stereo entertainment system that lets you make phone calls, stream music with Bluetooth and watch videos!
- HEADUNIT RECEIVER: Touchscreen 'Tablet-Style' Functionality Hi-Res 6.5'' - User-Friendly Control Interface - Rear Aux (RCA) Input/Output Connector Jacks - Picture Configuration Adjustment: Brightness,...
- COMPATIBLE WITH BLUETOOTH: Built-in compatibility with Bluetooth for Wireless Music Streaming - Built-in Microphone for Hands-Free Calling - Compatible with All of Your Favorite Bluetooth Devices -...
There is a lot to love about the Pyle PLDN744 Double DIN Touchscreen Car Stereo besides the price.
This unit is equipped with Bluetooth connectivity for wireless music streaming and hands-free telephone calls. It is equipped with a CD/DVD player and SD memory card reader so you can watch your favorite movies or listen to your favorite audio tracks wherever you may be.
Of course, this unit is also equipped with an AM/FM radio and can save up to 30 of your favorite radio stations for easy one-touch access. It also comes with a wireless remote control so you can allow your passengers to control the features of the stereo even when they’re in the backseat.
It is also not hard to notice the 7” high-definition widescreen TFT LCD display with a motorized tilt function so you can adjust the screen for the perfect viewing angle. This baby also comes with the usual features such as rear auxiliary input/output ports, audio/video input and output, and customizable equalizer settings with a pre-set function. I also like the rather slim and modern design equipped with flat switches that protrude oh so slightly on the bottom panel of the stereo.
All those features are available for less than [see price], which is pretty decent in my opinion. However, I had some issues with the sound quality of this touchscreen car stereo. I also noticed some problems with the overall quality, particularly the volume button which refuses to lower the volume unless you press hard on the switch.
I also noticed the screen is a bit too bright for my tastes even when adjusted to the lowest setting. This can prove to be a problem when you’re driving at night since an ultra-bright screen will cause glare and impede driving visibility.
Similar to the BOSS units, I’d suggest that you spend an extra 100$ or so if you can afford a higher quality unit. These Pyle’s are very “hit or miss.” They might last you the life of your car, or they might be dead 2 weeks after you install them. It’s tough finding a cheap car stereo that is also high build quality.
- Affordable price
- Great features
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Smooth motorized screen
- Issues with quality
- The LCD screen is bright at night
4. PIONEER AVH-X7800BT
- Built-in Bluetooth, Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), Serial Port Profile (SSP), and Dual...
- 5 Display Colors With 112 Key Colors
- Expandability: Single, Rear UBS Input, Rear AUX Input, Back-up Camera Input, Wired Remote Input, Composite Video Output, 1-3. 5mm (Audio/Video) Mini Jack AV Cable, and USB Direct Control for...
I have to be honest with you. I prefer Pioneer over other brands when it comes to car audio systems. I never had any problems with my long list of Pioneer car stereos in the past, and all of them share a very desirable trait: the audio quality is professional grade.
It is easy to adjust the equalizer settings to produce the best sound for any type of music. Pioneer head units are also extremely reliable even when exposed to extreme heat and cold. But Pioneer head units are usually more expensive than the norm. Such is the case with the Pioneer AVH-X7800BT.
This is a single DIN touchscreen car stereo equipped with a stunning 7-inch LCD screen and DVD player. It features the latest NEX user interface that is extremely intuitive to use. The user-friendly functions of the screen are further enhanced by the clear resistive touchscreen that perfectly obeys your touch inputs.
What makes the Pioneer AVH-X7800BT stand out is the dual Bluetooth connection that enables you to sync two smartphones or tablets simultaneously. This means you can stream on Pandora or Spotify and switch between two devices whenever the need arises. Want to listen to your passenger’s Spotify playlist? No problem.
The peak power output is rated at 50 watts x 4 channels. It is also equipped with a 24-bit digital to analog converter and comes with the Pioneer App Radio One that allows you to view and control all the compatible apps on your Android or iPhone.
The bad news? The Pioneer AVH-X7800BT is priced 2 to 3 times what the PYLE and BOSS units run for.
If you can afford it, this baby is one of the best single DIN touch screen car stereos for the money.
- Great build quality
- Superb audio
- User-friendly interface
- Spectacular 7-inch LCD screen
- It’s a bit expensive
5. Pioneer AVH4200NEX
If your car is designed to accept a 2-DIN stereo then it doesn’t get any better than the Pioneer AVH4200NEX touchscreen car stereo. This baby is particularly aimed at the Apple loyalist since it comes with a built-in iPod, iPhone, or iPad control by taking advantage of the Apple CarPlay. Of course, you will need to purchase an optional Apple adapter if you wish to watch video content on the stunning 7-inch motorized touchscreen LCD display. This unit features the Siri eyes-free function as well.
This unit will also work on your favorite Android device with Android Auto. The built-in Bluetooth connectivity enables you to easily pair your favorite device with the Pioneer so you can stream your favorite music files or audio books.
This car stereo is also equipped with Pioneer’s NEX user interface that makes it extremely easy to use. It is also compatible with SiriusXM so you can listen to your favorite tune mix or get timely traffic, weather, and sports updates.
Technically speaking, this unit is equipped with audio/video outputs, auxiliary ports, and video inputs for a separate backing-up camera. Peak power is rated at 50 watts x 4 channels.
However, the Pioneer AVH4200NEX is the most expensive in our list at around [see price]. That’s a lot of money for a car stereo, but you’re getting a stereo that will last as long as your car or truck.
- Intuitive user interface
- Brilliant 7” motorized LCD screen
- Modern and slim design
- Great for both Android and Apple devices
- Fantastic audio quality
- Prohibitive price tag
Why do people want to upgrade the audio in their car?
I used to be a HUGE audio freak. I was the type of guy who would install a large 12-inch subwoofer and connect it to a highly modified 1000-watt amplifier. I also equipped my ride with a separate amplifier to power all the speakers. All in all, my ride had two main amplifiers, a single subwoofer in a ported enclosure, two tweeters in the front, four midrange speakers for the front and rear, two additional speakers in the pillars, and a center speaker with its own low-powered amplifier.
The heart of it all is a Pioneer double-DIN AVH touchscreen stereo equipped with a built-in DVD player that can swallow six DVDs all at once. The result was an audio experience like no other. The system had no Bluetooth so I connected an iPhone receiver to the stereo to play my iTunes playlist with perfect clarity.
I have sold that car ever since. I totally understand your need for a car audio upgrade especially if you really know what you’re doing. Most new cars today are equipped with built-in stereos that can be a bit tricky to modify or upgrade. It’s either the audio quality is sub-par, or the stereo might lack a few important features that should be the norm in today’s Internet-based society.
Beginner tips to install an aftermarket car head unit
Important Things to Consider
Whether you are looking to upgrade the stereo in your older car or if you simply want to relish the experience of a more modern touchscreen-enabled audio system, I compiled five of the best touch screen car stereos that you can buy today.
But before we get to that, here are a couple of important tips you need to consider:
- Brand new car stereos will usually be equipped with a wiring harness. However, that harness is for the car stereo only. Instead of cutting and splicing the wires in your car, it is better to purchase a set of the wiring harness that is specific to the make and model of your vehicle. This will make the installation a little bit easier and more reliable since all the wires will be housed inside the harness. This also ensures a safe and secure connection between the audio wires.
- Choosing between single-DIN or double-DIN touchscreen car stereos? It will all depend on the design of the console in your ride. If the OEM stereo console is designed to accommodate a double-DIN design (which is usually larger than a single-DIN console), you should purchase a double-DIN stereo upgrade.
- If your console is only big enough for a single-DIN upgrade, you will need to consider if the motorized touchscreen will restrict access to the knobs, switches, or A/C vents of your vehicle. If the stereo console is located on top of the dashboard, deploying the motorized touchscreen LCD of your new stereo might also hinder your front visibility as you drive.
- On some vehicles with removable consoles, you can fit a double-DIN stereo to a single-DIN console by simply removing the cover either above or below the specific console. Take care not to forcefully pull the cover since it will most likely be secured by screws or plastic tabs.
- Consider the things you need before purchasing a new touchscreen car stereo. The most common standard features should include Bluetooth and USB connectivity, preset equalizer settings, DVD player, and navigation. Prepare to spend more if you want higher-end features in a new touch screen stereo.
Single Din Verse Double Din
The 2019 Best Touch Screen Car Stereos
Before we get into the list of our favorite touch screen car receivers, please keep in mind that new models are released ALL THE TIME (they’re kinda like cell phones)! So while these are our favorite radios of the year, you’re going to want to do some of your own research before making a purchase.
I would also highly recommend you check out Crutchfield . They are a great company, and while we usually buy from Amazon, Crutchfield is probably the best place for you to start if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Here is a great article for an intro to buying a car stereo.
If you have any questions, please contact us!
Before choosing which among the best touch screen car stereo is perfect for your ride, make sure to check all the features that you need so you can make the most out of your purchase. It is also a good idea to examine the center console since you don’t want to end up with a stereo that won’t fit on the dashboard of your ride.
If you have any questions, please contact us